Monday, August 20, 2012

Birth Story #2 (Home Birth)

My second pregnancy was more difficult than my first pregnancy. I had many more aches and pains and dealt with  many fears brought on by my first labor and delivery, which you can read HERE.

Here are some excerpts from my prayer journal to give you an idea of what the end of my pregnancy was like (my due date was June 27th, the same due date my first child had and the day he was born).

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Just read through an old journal... I didn't write "I'm tired of pregnancy" until June 8... This time I'm already tired of pregnancy, and two weeks earlier (Perhaps that means she'll be 2 weeks early?)...(she was)

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

...Dealing with anxiety on several nights. Fears and concerns about the childbirth... How do I change my emotions? I know I ought not be afraid, and yet I am still fearful...

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Still pregnant... Recognizing I need to learn contentment, patience, and trust. But how? 

(I did a Bible word study and came up with the following answers:)

1. Through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:11-13)
2. Through the LORD who hears me (Psalm 40:1)
3. Through the LORD who guides me (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Monday, June 13, 2011

Well... I haven't been feeling as anxious lately! However, perhaps that's just because I've given up on ever going into real labor!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Still no baby!

The words to this song keep echoing in my mind: I hear the Savior say, "Thy strength indeed is small. Child of weakness, watch and pray, find in Me thine all in all."

... An aching craving, deep within my soul, draws me near to my God...

 Birth Day: June 16, 2011

At 1:30 a.m. I got up to go to the bathroom.  I experienced a contraction that was so strong it nearly knocked me off the toilet. After that FIRST contraction, I KNEW it was time. I had my husband call my friend who would be serving as a doula while I called the midwife and drew a bath for myself. I had just sat in the tub and was experiencing ginormous contractions that barreled over me again and again (like 2 minutes into labor) as I reached my midwife on the phone. She asked, "how far apart are they?" I couldn't answer, since I was in the middle of one again, but I was thinking, "Are you insane? Get over here! Why would I call you if I wasn't in labor!??"

My doula arrived soon and stayed with me while my husband filled up the swimming pool in the living room and sent our son over to the neighbors.

I FINALLY was able to get into the pool and experience the relief of being in the water.

Here is another excerpt from my journal about this stage of the labor:

During the labor, I finally got into a rhythm during contractions. [My husband] stroked my back and counted down from 10 until they were over. I leaned over the side of the pool and rested/relaxed as much as possible. Someone fanned me and gave me water as I asked for it. (I was addicted to drinking from a straw after this birth)

You, my God, helped me through it. I remembered the words of the song: "child of weakness... find in Me thine all in all." Wednesday, I put a background picture on our computer. It is a painting of Jesus holding a girl in His arms. As the pain became overwhelming, I leaned over the edge of the pool and became that girl--the edge was Your shoulder and I felt Your arms--Your presence--surround me. You alone were my strength when I was weak.

There was one point in the labor where I stood up and was ready to walk out the door. For some reason I truly believed that if I left our house the pain would stay there without me. It took a grueling contraction to remind me of the truth and I kneeled back down.

After more than 2 hours of labor, the midwife wanted to check the progress of my dilation. I was at an 8 (what!!! I started at a 7! This is never going to end!!). While still on  my back from being checked, I experienced the worst contraction ever. I thought I was going to die. :) I believe that contraction opened me to a 10, because the next contraction I pushed... and nothing happened. With the next contraction her head came out and with the next the rest of her was born.

I was the first person to hold her. This is the moment we met her:

Of course, I do need to note that I had just freaked out a little bit because she wasn't breathing at first... I held her before she took her first breath and all I knew was that my baby's not breathing, fix her! (she just took her time about her first breath is all).

She was born on June 16, 2011 at 3:58 a.m. after about 2 1/2 hours of labor and only 3 pushes. 7 lbs, 4 oz., 20 inches long.

Our home birth was such a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment